It is currently very frequent use of implants to replace a missing tooth. Implant treatment allows us to give our patients back function and aesthetics similar to natural teeth. In addition, it is a treatment very safe with an approximate success rate of 98%.
Patients often ask us how they should care for these "new teeth at home.
Brushing is very simple and similar to that which should be carried out on the rest of the teeth, but there are some special features. The general recommendations would be:
- Brushing after every mealabout 3 times a day for 2 minutes.
- The recommended brush is medium hardnessThe use of a hand-held or electric motor is irrelevant, as long as it is used in the correct way.
- Use of silk or dental tape, interdental brushes and antiseptic mouthwashes.
- It is also advisable to use oral irrigators. We must also attend check-ups at the clinic to ensure that the implants are in good condition. Maintenance appointments will be scheduled, normally every 6 months. At the maintenance appointments we will perform:
- Control X-rays.
- Hygiene control and bacterial plaque with plaque disclosers.
- Reinforcement of habits and hygiene techniques.
- In some cases, we will dismantle the crowns to thoroughly clean both crowns and implants. Antimicrobial agents such as chlorhexidine or local antibiotics are used.
- Implants are cleaned using materials that prevent them from being damaged, such as carbon, ceramic or Teflon instruments.
Finally, it is important to remember that in order to ensure the health of our teeth and implants, we must go to the regular check-ups and follow personalised recommendations offered by both dentists and hygienists.